Make a Family Disaster Plan
- Identify ahead of time where you could go if you are told to evacuate.
- Choose several places, such as a friend's or relative's home in another town (north of Freeport), a motel or a Red Cross shelter.
- Keep handy the telephone numbers of these places as well as a road map. You may need to take alternate or unfamiliar routes if major roads are closed or clogged.
- Plan ahead what to do with family pets if you must evacuate. Public health regulations do not allow pets in public shelters. Call your veterinarian for advice on sheltering your pet.
- Re-check your disaster supply kit, check batteries and stock up on canned food, drinking water and medications.
- Shutter, board or tape up all your windows.
- Moor your boat securely.
- Clear your yard of all loose objects, lawn furniture, trash cans, hanging plants etc.
- Bring in anything that can be picked up by the wind and cause damage or blow away in high winds.
In an emergency, listen to:
- Freeport Emergency Management Team's "Emergency Hotline" at 516-377-2400
- Local radio (WGBB, WHLI, WKJY)
- TV stations (News 12, Fox 5, ABC, NBC, CBS)
- Tune to WPYB 1690 AM Freeport Emergency Management Radio for 24 hour NOAA weather information.