THE FREEPORT VILLAGE COURT DOES NOT ACCEPT PERSONAL CHECKS.
To pay for fines, payments can be made by cash, credit cards (MasterCard or Visa), certified checks, or money orders.
Answering a Village of Freeport Traffic Ticket:
If you received a traffic ticket for an infraction of the Vehicle & Traffic Laws of the state of New York from the Freeport Village Police Department, you may plead to the summons by mail with certain exceptions.
You may respond to a summons in the following ways:
- You may PLEAD GUILTY by mail
- You may plead NOT GUILTY by mail
- You may APPEAR at the designated court date and plead guilty or not guilty
WARNING: FAILURE TO RESPOND TO A SUMMONS WILL RESULT IN A WARRANT FOR YOUR ARREST AND MAY RESULT IN THE SUSPENSION OF YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE.
IF YOU PLEAD GUILTY OR NOT GUILTY BY MAIL BEFORE THE COURT DATE listed on your summons, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO APPEAR IN COURT on the court date. If you plead not guilty by mail you will be notified by mail as to when to appear.
YOU MAY NOT PLEAD GUILTY BY MAIL IF YOU ARE CHARGED WITH THE FOLLOWING:
- A THIRD SPEED OFFENSE WITHIN THE PAST 18 MONTHS
- ANY MISDEMEANOR OFFENSE
- A VIOLATION OF NYS VTL 319-1, NO INSURANCE.
To plead guilty by mail:
Mail the following items to the Freeport Village Court:
- Your traffic summons with PART A completed and signed.
- ** Copy of Government Issued ID is required **
- The court will set the fine and notify you by mail.
- Use only the above-listed payment methods, payable to Freeport Village Court, in the amount of the fine with the specified due date indicated.
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope if you would like a payment receipt returned.
To plead not guilty by mail:
FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON PART B OF YOUR SUMMONS. If you have any questions, you may call the TRAFFIC DEPARTMENT at (516) 377-2329 Monday – Friday 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
IF YOU APPEAR IN PERSON you must do so on the court date listed on your summons at 40 North Ocean Avenue. If you have any questions, call 516-377-2329 between 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday - Friday.
If you receive a ticket for no insurance (VTL 319-1 or VTL 319-3), THE ONLY PROOF OF INSURANCE THE COURT WILL ACCEPT IS A LETTER FROM YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY STATING:
- STATING THE VEHICLE IN QUESTION WAS INSURED – EFFECTIVE DATES OF COVERAGE PERIOD, WITH NO LAPSE IN COVERAGE.
- COVERAGE IN FULL FORCE ON THE DATE INDICATED ON THE SUMMONS.
- DESCRIPTION OF THE VEHICLE (YEAR, MODEL, COLOR, VIN NUMBER)
- MUST BE TYPED & SIGNED BY INSURANCE REPRESENTATIVE
AN INSURANCE CARD WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AS PROOF OF INSURANCE. A LETTER FROM AN INSURANCE BROKER WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
For information regarding the NYS Driver's License Violation Points System and the Point Insurance Reduction Program, Click here. This link takes you to the NYS DMV Site.