Clergy Exemption

  • If you are an ordained minister or rabbi of a recognized congregation, you are entitled to an exemption of $1,500 of assessed value on the home you own and live in. You are entitled to only one such exemption, even if you own more than one property. .
  • All exemptions are shown on the assessment roll as assessed value. To calculate the tax savings for any exemption:
    • Exempt Assessed Value divided by 100, then multiply the result times the Tax Rate.
  • Applications must be received in the Assessor's office by October 1st. Applications received after October 1st will not be considered, even if they are postmarked prior to October 1st.
  • If you already receive such an exemption, a renewal application will be mailed to you each year in June. If you don't have such an exemption, but want to apply, request an application from:
    Village of Freeport
    Assessment Department
    46 North Ocean Avenue
    Freeport, NY 11520

Nassau County Taxes

A Village tax exemption does not apply to taxes based on the Nassau County Assessment Roll. You should also apply to the Nassau County Department of Assessment for any exemption offered by the County and applicable to your property. Deadlines and procedures may be different. Check with the Nassau County Department of Assessment at 516-571-1500 for additional information.